Professional Writing Certificate
To earn the Professional Writing Certificate, students must complete the following five courses with a 3.0 GPA or better: Anth 350, Engl 301, Engl 355, Engl 402, and Engl 498. Engl 498 must be taken only after the other four courses have been completed. The certificate can be earned through WSU Online and/or on-campus offerings. The university undergraduate certificate fee will apply.
Open to all majors, the Professional Science and Technology Writing Certificate combines student interests in science with focused training in writing and rhetoric to enable students to convey scientific and technological information widely, effectively, and comprehensibly.
This certificate allows students to identify an area of particular scientific interest— such as biology, chemistry, medicine, and environmental studies, etc.—and enhance their scientific studies with a series of courses devoted to sharpening their ability to understand, synthesize, and convey scientific knowledge.
To earn the Professional Science and Technology Writing Certificate, students must complete the following three courses (in any order) with a 3.0 GPA or better:
- English 301 – Writing and Rhetorical Conventions
- Designed to provide students with advanced practice in and study of style, argument, and other rhetorical/discourse conventions.
- English 402 – Technical and Professional Writing
- Research Writing: defining, proposing, reporting progress; presenting a final product; other professional writing needs.
- English 495 – The Rhetoric of Science and Technology
- Written, visual, and verbal conventions of scientific disciplines for academic, scientific, technical, and public audiences.
Student must also complete six elective credits. Possible options include:
- Biology 330 – Principles of Conservation
- EnvSci 285 – The Science and Policy of Climate Change
- Geology 210 – Earth's History and Evolution
- MBios 320 – DNA and Society
- Psych 401 – Historical Development of Psychology
- Psych/WomenSt 324 – Psychology of Women
- SoilSci 360 – World Agricultural Systems
The university undergraduate certificate fee will apply. (See Undergraduate Certificate Application.)
Online or On-Campus
The certificate can be earned through WSU Online, on-campus offerings, or a combination of the two.